Hearty vegan black bean burger
I adore butternut squash and black beans so what better way to have them but together in a delicious vegan black bean burger!
This recipe provides 8 good sized burgers
- 1/2 butternut squash, diced small
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 400g black beans (cooked) and rinsed well
- 1 red onion, diced small
- 100g gluten free porridge oats (use small ground oats or place in food processor for a minute until small like breadcrumbs)
- 80g sweetcorn (cooked)
- 12g (2 teaspoons) of ground cumin
- 12g (2 teaspoons) of chilli powder (less or none, if you don’t like heat)
- 12g (2 teaspoons) of dried oregano
- pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil for cooking
- Put a little oil on the butternut squash and place in a preheated oven way 190°c / 170°c if a fan oven and roast for about 30 minutes until soft.
- Add a tablespoon or so of oil to a large frying pan and cook the onion until it had caramelised (this will give the burgers a really rich flavour)
- Add half the black beans to a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher
- Add the remaining black beans and all other burger ingredients, including the cooked butternut squash and onions to the bowl. Mix well together so the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Put a handful of the mixture in your hands and squish together to bind the ingredients then make a patty using the palms of your hands. Repeat 8 times
- Place the burgers in the fridge in a covered container and allow them to set for at least an hour.
- Add a tablespoon or so of oil to a large frying pan and cook the burgers on each side for 2-3 minutes until they are golden in colour.
- Place the burgers on an oven tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until they are crisp on the outside.
- Serve the burgers either in buns or in a romain lettuce leaf. I like to serve my black bean burgers with my delicious hummus recipe (click here).